[Opendnssec-user] Documentation on the state of keys?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Feb 5 13:56:50 UTC 2010

I cannot find a documentation of the various states of the keys, as
displayed by ksmutil key list.

A README file in enforcer/utils and the source of ksmutil just give
the list:

key states: GENERATED|PUBLISHED|READY|ACTIVE|RETIRED|REVOKED|DEAD

without explanations. By observation, I can see that a key goes
through the steps:

PUBLISHED -> READY -> ACTIVE -> RETIRED

but I never see GENERATED and DEAD and wonder what are their uses.

(If I generate keys with ksmutil key generate, I do not see them in
the output of ksmutil key list.)