[Opendnssec-user] Description of individual OpenDNSSEC packages

Ondřej Surý ondrej at sury.org
Wed Feb 3 13:16:02 UTC 2010

> NOTE: I don't understand why you'd package this separately, as it has
> no real meaning on its own.  It always combines with the signer.

I know that it hasn't, but it also doesn't share any common code. You
are probably releasing all code together right now, but this could
easily change in case of emergency (serious bug) and I don't want to
have to recompile all packages together. As code stabilizes more and
more it makes more sense to make split-out releases of individual
packages, so we don't burden autobuilders with rebuilding same code
and users of installing new version without any changes.

Right now between 1.0.0rc3 and 1.0.0rc4 there hasn't been any code
changes (just build script update and manpage addition) as opposed to
signer. Next release could change a bit in enforcer without touching
any signer code.

Also I could easily imagine running each component on separate machine
(e.g. central enforcer+hsm and several signing machines) in more
complex setups.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej at sury.org>