[Opendnssec-user] Why do we need standby keys? Part #1: why

Johan Ihren johani at autonomica.se
Thu Aug 26 15:32:12 UTC 2010

Ok, Stephen, John and myself have talked this over a bit now and this is how we feel about the issue of standby keys and whether to keep them or not.

Johan

1. DNSSEC key management is a history of manual failure about to be replaced by software success.

Some of us have played with DNSSEC for a Long Time(tm). We've been jumping through hoops, run ugly scripts and in general dealt with an amount of operational complexity that is simply not suited for any reasonable amount of manual operations. All the while we've been chanting the mantra "there will be software in the future that deals with this".

Given that history we're really concerned when we see statements like

	"Our idea: The support of standby keys in OpenDNSSEC can be deprecated, because it
	 can be handled outside the system."

because to us, that sounds very much like going back to square one. I.e. if there is a use for standby keys, then we'd very much prefer to have opendnssec deal with that, rather than opt out for simplicity just to push the problem elsewhere.

2. Is there a use for standby keys?

Yes, there is. Being able to plan for trouble and be prepared to roll keys "immediately" has a use. As far as I can tell that is mostly agreed upon. However, at present, it appears that there is less than good understanding of how this actually works. Both Jakob and Rickard have explained to me that users seem to believe that just "adding a standby key" more or less by magic makes the zone more secure, which is of course not true. So, clearly, there exists what we'd refer to as a pedagogical issue with standby keys and we do understand that the people working with opendnssec may feel that not to be their primary focus. On the other hand, we argue that there are *many* pedagogical issues with DNSSEC and the need for lots of work in that area, which is quite separate from the need for software development. However, if the software doesn't even support something, then any form of educational effort will be completely wasted and pointless.

3. Doesn't the standby key typically get compromised at the same time as the other keys in the HSM?

No, not necessarily. That is a question both of the design of the actual HSM and the policy of whether to use a single HSM or several separate HSMs, both of which are choices that should not be made by opendnssec, but by the users of opendnssec.

4. Wouldn't removal of support for standby keys lead significant simplification of the code?

Personally, I really don't know, because I have not worked on the opendnssec code. But we are convinced that when talking about the complexity of the code to support standby keys very little is about standby keys as such and almost all the complexity regards support for multiple HSMs, some of which may be offline while still containing keys. We believe that opendnssec will have to support offline key storage regardless of the standby keys issue (just think "smartcards") and hence we do not believe that in the long run there will be a significant simplification gained from removing support for standby keys.

Given support for keys stored in offline HSMs, supporting standby keys becomes if not trivial at least not a daunting task.

I'll post part #2 in a minute, which contains some thoughts on how to support standby keys in opendnssec  assuming that HSMs containing keys may be offline.

Regards,

Johan