[Opendnssec-user] KSK rollover

Antoin Verschuren Antoin.Verschuren at sidn.nl
Tue Dec 15 10:45:09 UTC 2009

Dear Antti,

Although I believe double signatures is a good method for KSK rollovers in theory, I believe it will not become the BCP at registries.
The BCP at registries will become pre-publish, since that's the only method that also allows for NS changes at the time of the rollover, i.e. transfers, or change of dns-operators.

If the dns-operator for a zone changes, the only method where the zone remains secure is when the new public keys are included at the old operator, and signed by the old key only, (since the new private key is not available), and the zone at the new operator only signed with the new private key. (private keys will not be exchanged!).

Since this method will require coordination, multiple DS'es at the parent, and have timing issues, but needs to be deployed at the parent registry anyway, I believe this will be the BCP for regular KSK rollovers as well. No need for a registry to implement different scenarios when pre-publish is a scenario that will work for all situations.

The timing issues and coordination will be integrated in the registry processes, allowing a coordinated rollover to take place.

I believe double signatures should be possible for KSK rollovers in OpenDNSSEC as an option for proprietary scenarios, but I think the default for communication with registries will become pre-publish.

Antoin Verschuren

Technical Policy Advisor SIDN
Utrechtseweg 310, PO Box 5022, 6802 EA Arnhem, The Netherlands

P: +31 26 3525500  F: +31 26 3525505  M: +31 6 23368970
mailto:antoin.verschuren at sidn.nl  xmpp:antoin at jabber.sidn.nl  http://www.sidn.nl/