[Opendnssec-user] SoftHSM on trunk

Sebastian Castro sebastian at nzrs.net.nz
Thu Aug 27 01:56:24 UTC 2009

Rickard Bondesson wrote:
>> I am currently having problems with softhsm from trunk on
>> FC11.  It compiles and installs OK, however when I try and
>> initialise a token it just appears to hang after you enter
>> the SO and User PIN.  If you do a softhsm show-slots you get :
>
>> Available slots:
>
>> Slot 0
>
>>            Token present: yes
>
>>            Token initialized: yes
>
>>            User PIN initialized: no
>
>>            Token label: OpenDNSSEC Token
>

>> Also it appears to hang if you run the checks in
>> /usr/src/opendnssec-trunk/softHSM/checks

While testing the SoftHSM, I saw the same behavior:

- Attempt to initialise the HSM freezes after entering the User PIN
- softhsm --show-lots gives the same output
- softHSM/checks -z freezes as well

>> Does anybody have any ideas what I might have done wrong?
>
> Which version of Botan are you running?

Is running Botan 1.8

> Could you run strace and give me the log?

Strace logs are attached for both initialisation process and softhsm
checks. From that, it seems the process keeps waiting for reading from
the /proc/kmsg, but no other process is using that file (checked with lsof).

> What does the syslog say?

Nothing on the logs.

If you need any help to trace the problem, let me know.