[Opendnssec-user] SoftHSM is blocking

Mattias Andersson mattias at nonetwork.se
Tue Aug 4 10:55:17 UTC 2009

Looking at:
http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man5/proc.5.html

//proc/kmsg/
              This file can be used instead of the syslog(2) <http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man2/syslog.2.html> system call to read
              kernel messages.  A process must have superuser privileges to read this
              file, and only one process should read this file.  This file should not
              be read if a syslog process is running which uses the syslog(2) <http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man2/syslog.2.html> system
              call facility to log kernel messages.

              Information in this file is retrieved with the *dmesg*(8) program.

Interpreting this I guess one could expect behaviors as the ones
observed trying to read from /proc/kmsg, even thou I have seen it
working fine in some systems.
If you read this info for entropy I would recommend not read this file
or access the content via dmesg instead.

Regards
/Mattias