[Opendnssec-maintainers] supported sqlite3 version

Paul Wouters pwouters at redhat.com
Wed Apr 10 18:17:40 UTC 2013

On 04/10/2013 08:16 AM, John Dickinson wrote:

> The OpenDNSSEC developers would like your input on the impact of changing the required version of sqlite3 in future releases of OpenDNSSEC (v1.3, v1.4 and v2). Currently the enforcer checks for at least sqlite3 >= 3.3.9 which is very old.
>
> We would like to raise this requirement to sqlite3 >= 3.7.0 as this would allow us to:
> 1. Enforce foreign key constraints. http://www.sqlite.org/foreignkeys.html
> 2. Make use of the WAL to better handle locking issues. http://www.sqlite.org/wal.html
>
> Impact of this change:
>
> RHEL and derivatives ship with 3.6.20
> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS ships with 3.6.22
>
> Users of these OS's would need to install/upgrade sqlite3. Users on recent *BSD or Solaris 11 should be OK.

That is a nightmare because you'd have to create an sqlite36 package or
an sqlite37 package that installs in a non-default location to avoid
affecting other software that cannot use 3.7 due to possible API
changes. It will not be possible to ship such a version of opendnssec in
EPEL-6 as we currently do.

I would recommend waiting for RHEL and ubuntu LTS to be upgraded before
demanding this switch. RHEL-7 will have sqlite 3.7.x.

Related, opendnssec won't be able to get into RHEL-6 properly (as
opposed to being in EPEL-6) as long as it uses a
non-approved/non-certified crypto library (botan). The only allowed
crypto libraries are nss, openssl and libgcrypt.

Paul