[Opendnssec-develop] kasp draft

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Jul 28 09:10:21 UTC 2014

On 07/15/2014 10:52 AM, Siôn Lloyd wrote:
> 2.1.1.
> "a policy MUST have the containers Signatures, Denial, Keys, Zone and
> Parent."
>
> This is only true for a policy that can control a key rollover; If all I
> want is to describe the signing part then "Parent" becomes optional. I
> guess this is the same as Yuri's comment?

Similar. Yuri's point is if everything in a container is optional. I
think a KASP should always describe how to do a key rollover by the way.

> 2.1.1.1
> Jitter - I'm not sure that there is a need to define the jitter
> algorithm... I can have jitter that only increases signature lifetimes
> (i.e. r * j) and it is still just as valid. The algorithm could be given
> as an example.

I think we do want to define the algorithm: So that if the policy is
used in a different implementation, you can expect the same behavior.

> 2.1.1.2
> Can Resalt be PT0S? If so what does this mean?

Do not resalt.

> Can SaltLength be 0?
>
> (In general by integer you mean positive integer; possibly including
> zero? This is all explicit in the current kasp.rnc)

Good point. Have to check. Added an issue for that:

    https://github.com/matje/dnsop-kasp/issues/7

> 2.1.1.3
> Does Repository need to be mandatory? Is this only the case if the
> signer uses PKCS11 (I'm not sure of the answer to this; but e.g. "keys
> on disc" would need a path instead).

If Repository can be anything else than a HSM, like Jerry said, then
this may affect the policy model. Thinking twice: probably not, because
in KASP we reference to a Repository identifier string.

Thanks for the comments!

Best regards,
  Matthijs