[Opendnssec-develop] Move to git

Sara Dickinson sara at sinodun.com
Mon Feb 10 15:09:39 UTC 2014

On 6 Feb 2014, at 14:49, Jerry Lundström <jerry at opendnssec.org> wrote:

Hi All,

I have added a few extra bullet points and heading to the workflow page - please review my changes and make sure they all make sense!

>> - If you do delete your feature branch, or need to cherry pick commits to port them then I imagine you use ‘merge’? Jerry - could you please document this workflow too as I suspect this is going to be much more likely in practice than being able to do a clean rebase?
>
> Ehm, no you don’t merge, you cherry-pick (yes its a actual git command).
>
> I can try and add some doc on that.

Jerry - that would be great - thank you. I think this is how most people will work so I think we need this asap. For example, if I have commits I made in subversion that I will  port after we move I will have to cherry pick right?

>> Pull requests:
>>
>> It is still not clear to me exactly what happens with the review stage or the tests.
>
> We can add more later on but to begin we got “build” now and it runs all tests, new and modified, which is just what happens now if you do a commit.

Question: Right now who has permission to run what bot commands?

In the beginning I think I hear that the plan is that Jerry/Jakob will run every test on every pull request (not the developer)? Is this right? Will you do this immediately on receiving the request or only after review? How long does this take for the production releases - 2 hours I think for both DBs?

Have I understood correctly that the aim (for pull requests that come from the development team) is to move quite quickly to a point where each developer starts (at least) a build on submitting a pull request and deals with any build/test failures before getting anyone else involved (reviewers or release manager)? This seems like one of the big wins to me that as a developer I can do this step by myself without the code actually going into the repo? Then it is the developer that co-ordinates the review and so the 'Jerry/Jakob/release manager' role is essentially just to do whatever extra review/testing is necessary as a sanity check before merging. Is this how people see this process developing?

>> b) Then who decides who should review it?
>> - Seems sensible that the developer should requests a specific reviewer in the pull request comment if they want one?
>> - If it doesn’t need a full blown review what happens - Jerry/Jakob will you give it the once over to see what you think?
>> - If we want to give other developers who will be watching the pull requests time to comment how long should we wait before moving forward with the process?
>
> Do we really need this in writing now? Think common sense here will prevail.

Hum, it isn’t rocket science to define a basic process. I would like to know what happens after Monday when I put my first pull request in :-) And also please remember that we are an extended, part-time, geographically dispersed team and the more guidance we can give the better.