[Opendnssec-develop] SoftHSMv2 and IPC

Jerry Lundström jerry at opendnssec.org
Tue Oct 30 16:58:37 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Rickard Bellgrim
<rickard at opendnssec.org> wrote:
> I have been looking at the issues on Inter-Process Communication in
> SoftHSMv2. The current issue is that OpenBSD does not implement POSIX
> Semaphores and NetBSD has a maximum length of 14 characters on the
> names of the named semaphores. I tried to convert it over to System V
> semaphores, but then we have an issue that we hit the maximum number
> of semaphores and that there is no good equivalent to sem_unlink().

14 characters is not a problem, thats 10^14 combinations if you just
sprintf() a number as identification. Hitting the maximum number of
semaphore is a bigger problem because it might not be changeable on
some systems and hard for some users to do.

> Currently there is one semaphore per object.

Why do we have a semaphore per object?

What is an object (is it a key_pair)?

How does this work in v1?

/Jerry