[Opendnssec-develop] Database backends & build or run-time dependencies

Roland van Rijswijk Roland.vanRijswijk at surfnet.nl
Wed Feb 1 14:56:23 UTC 2012

Hi Jerry,

I read in today's minutes that you are proposing to make the database backend used by the Enforcer NG something that is decided in the configuration rather than at compile time. I have some issues with that since it would potentially require users to install unnecessary dependencies (e.g. they have to install sqlite3 if they just want to use mysql). May I propose an alternative solution?

What if you separate out the database specific code into a shared library? That allows package maintainers to package separate database backends and gives users the option of only installing the backend they need. And I would still be in favour of making which backends are built a compile time option such that normally all backends are built but users can decide not to build one or more backends if they compile from source and are not interested in the other backends.

Cheers,

Roland

-- Roland M. van Rijswijk
-- SURFnet Middleware Services