[Opendnssec-develop] RE: 1.3.12 release candidate

Sara Dickinson sara at sinodun.com
Thu Dec 13 10:31:00 UTC 2012

On 10 Dec 2012, at 10:41, Matthijs Mekking wrote:

> We could also 'tag' the release candidate. Tagging means making no
> changes to them. If changes are required, they are made in the branch.
> If changes are made, a new rc is created from branch. Advantages: No
> need for merging and no need to freeze the branch.

On other products I have worked on the only changes allowed between an RC and full release were fixes to issues found with the RC (e.g. build issues or a critical bug fix that didn't work properly).  Nothing 'new' was allowed in even if the RC was re-issued.

Doing what you suggest means that if someone puts a fix in the branch for something that wasn't in the original RC and then you need a new RC for some reason, then that new fix ends up in the new RC..... Also the danger is that the new fix breaks something, or you have to wait for it to be tested, etc. and the release is delayed again....

Sara.