[Opendnssec-develop] Multithreaded Enforcer issues before we can merge with trunk

Jerry Lundström jerry at opendnssec.org
Fri Aug 24 05:42:21 UTC 2012

Hi,

So yesterday at the telephone conference meeting we discussed the
multithreaded Enforcer and Sion have tested the functionality of the
branch and is happy with it. I would now like everyone comment on the
issues I see that are left to resolve before we merge the code into
trunk.

1. Logging

Today nothing has been made to the logging of the functions called
when doing work in multiple threads. Without threads the Enforcer logs
what zone it starts processing and then a few log lines about the
progress, theses log lines now come all mixed up so you can not
differentiate between the log lines what zone it is about.

So how should we solve this?
- Maybe prepend zone to all log lines?
- Remove most log lines while working and just return one line per
zone when finished successful or with error?
- ?

2. Enabling of multithreaded Enforcer

The branch I have set up have a configuration option
(--enable-enforcer-workers) to enable multithreaded Enforcer at
compile time.

Is this the right approach or do we want this always compiled and
controlled by conf.xml ?

-----

These are the issues I see so far (I actually thought there was more).

/Jerry

--
Jerry Lundström - OpenDNSSEC Developer
http://www.opendnssec.org/