[Opendnssec-develop] Supported build dependency for libraries etc

Siôn Lloyd sion at nominet.org.uk
Wed Oct 5 07:40:14 UTC 2011

On 04/10/11 13:50, Jerry Lundström wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:37 PM, John Dickinson <jad at sinodun.com
> <mailto:jad at sinodun.com>> wrote:
>
>     My initial thoughts are that anything where we support multiple
>     versions (e.g. if we supported ruby18 and ruby19 and jruby) or if
>     the version changes often then we should have jenkins install it.
>     At the moment there are only single versions of group 1 listed in
>     the documentation and I have no feel for how much this list changes.
>

> The first group is the interesting one. We can support
> specific/minimum version or we can say we support ubuntu 10.04 and
> then we have to rely on the versions in that dist.
>
> A vote perhaps, +specific or +dist ?

The one time I can recall this being an issue was with sqlite on
redhat/centos, where the version reported is not always the actual
version installed...

It would be more friendly to support a distribution; unless we have
compelling reasons to use newer or non-standard libraries. So maybe we
would need the ability to turn features off (e.g. --no-gost) where they
would not be available on the vanilla distribution?

Of course this wouldn't help the test environment.

Sion