[Opendnssec-develop] Erroneous jitter semantics

Jakob Schlyter jakob at kirei.se
Thu Mar 11 09:09:37 UTC 2010

On 11 mar 2010, at 09.49, Rickard Bellgrim wrote:

> What I mean is that currently we do this:
>
> Inception = now - offset
> Expiration = now + validity period + jitter
> Total validity = offset + validity period + jitter

correct.

> You are suggesting:
>
> Inception = now - offset
> Expiration = now + validity period - jitter
> Total validity = offset + validity period - jitter

right, and this gives:

min(total validity) = offset + validity period - max(jitter)
max(total validity) = offset + validity period

so signatures will effectivly expire between
	now + validity - max(jitter)
and
	now + validity

> But if we want to truly use the validity period as the maximum, then do this:
>
> Inception = now - offset
> Expiration = now + validity period - jitter - offset
> Total validity = validity period - jitter

the offset is a safe guard against time error, so I would not include that in the the calculation of the signature expiration.

	jakob