[Opendnssec-develop] Erroneous jitter semantics

Rickard Bellgrim rickard.bellgrim at iis.se
Thu Mar 11 08:49:31 UTC 2010

On 10 mar 2010, at 23.15, Jakob Schlyter wrote:

>> Does the same thing apply to the inception offset?
>
> the effective inception seems to be calculated as the the current timestamp - inception offset.
> as far as I can see, no other checks are made.

What I mean is that currently we do this:

Inception = now - offset
Expiration = now + validity period + jitter
Total validity = offset + validity period + jitter

You are suggesting:

Inception = now - offset
Expiration = now + validity period - jitter
Total validity = offset + validity period - jitter

But if we want to truly use the validity period as the maximum, then do this:

Inception = now - offset
Expiration = now + validity period - jitter - offset
Total validity = validity period - jitter