[Opendnssec-develop] Missing exception handling by signerd when lacking permission

Rick Zijlker rick.zijlker at sidn.nl
Wed Dec 22 10:52:54 UTC 2010

Hi,

Back on OpenDNSSEC for this and next week. While preparing the test environment for Nick with 1.2rc2 I stumbled upon an installation error.

When starting by using "ods-control start" I received a "Can't connect() to engine" error. Apparently the signerd didn't start because of a lack of permission, but it took some debugging before we found out, since signerd pretends to be starting without problems, but afterwards the signer fails.

The location containing the slot0.db softhsm repo (/var/softhsm) was inaccessible by signerd. After changing the owner it worked without trouble. It would be nice to have exception handling by signerd when it fails on permission and not continue starting so it becomes hard to trace the cause of the failing signer. What do you think?

Cheers