[Opendnssec-develop] Requirements for release 1.2

Rickard Bellgrim rickard.bellgrim at iis.se
Tue Dec 21 16:00:24 UTC 2010

On 21 dec 2010, at 15.42, Antoin Verschuren wrote:

> So could you please quantify what "improved handling" means ? Should I
> get 6 zones with 1 key or 18 zones with 1 key ?
> Or how much "Performance improvements for large numbers of zones" we
> should get ? Should it be 5 minutes faster, for howmany zones ?
> Or how about "Log statistics in a better way" ? are no more logs also
> "better" logs ?
> It's not defined anywhere.
> Can I assume:
> - -"Improved handling of shared keys" means: It MUST be possible to sign
> 50.000 zones with one key
> - -"Performance improvements for large numbers of zones" means: It MUST be
> possible to sign 50.000 zones with less than 50 records in 30 minutes ?
> - -What is a "better way" to log statistics ?

Improved handling of shared keys
- It was a known issue for v1.1 that shared keys did not work so good when adding new zones.

Performance improvements for large numbers of zones
- The requirements is 50 000 zones but no requirements on the "user experience". Initial testing shows that we can handle around 10 000 zones.

Log statistics in a better way
- The Signer Engine statistics was spread out on different syslog messages. They are now in one place.

I can also recommend reading the NEWS file. It present what new features and bugfixes we have.
http://trac.opendnssec.org/browser/trunk/OpenDNSSEC/NEWS

Another problem is that we have no requirements on how well we should handle 50 000 zones. How responsive the system should be, etc? So it is not all about how long it takes to sign 50 000 zones. But also how long time it takes to add them, and add one extra zone, update signconfs, get a new zone signed, etc.