[Opendnssec-develop] Re: [OpenDNSSEC] #13: "engine: no new signatures, keeping zone" when changing zone parameters

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at NLnetLabs.nl
Tue Sep 1 12:08:47 UTC 2009

FIY

Matthijs Mekking wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Picking op this ticket. Not sure what to do.
>
> The report is two-fold.
>
> 1.
> What to do if the signer engine is presented a new SignerConfiguration
> but no new signatures need to be created. Should we keep the old zone or
> should we force a new output zone?
>
> In my point of view, we should only output a new zone if new signatures
> where created. So, for example an increased signature refresh value does
> not necessarily result in a new output zone.

Currently, it forces new signatures when a new SignerConfiguration is
detected.

> 2.
> What to do when signer_engine_cli sign <zone> is called. Should we force
> a new output zone or only if new signatures are created?
>
> In my point of view, again, we should only output a new zone if new
> signatures are created. If the SOA serial changed, we should only output
> a new zone if the SOA/Serial is equal to "keep".

Currently, the old zone is kept if only the SOA serial changes
(regardless of the SOA/Serial value).