[Opendnssec-develop] Zone moving between operators

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Fri Mar 27 08:45:46 UTC 2009

Hello Antion,

> My worry is that in rollovers, the keys must move to the parent.
> Processing a giant amount of EPP messages (one per delegation) might be troublesome at a registry.

There's a few reasons why I don't share your feeling of caution.

1. People who only use a single key to sign zones, that is, those using
   an USB stick instead of an HSM will be small-sized.  Why?  Because:

2. Although a parent should not dictate that all domains use different
   keys, it can indicate that a lot of changes will take more time.
   I think it is reasonable, and will force individual children to
   behave rationally with their dependency on the parent's resources.

3. If you would really want to support a large-scale emergency rollover,
   you would be better off if all the keys are equal; given a proper
   interface for it you could issue a single SQL UPDATE statement.

Hope this helps,
 -Rick