[Opendnssec-develop] Meeting minutes from todays meeting

Patrik Wallstrom patrik.wallstrom at iis.se
Wed Jan 14 15:54:01 UTC 2009

Please read and comment if I didn't get everything right. I will wait
a few days until I publish this on the wiki.

Meeting minutes 2009-01-14, OpenDNSSEC

Jakob Schlyter
Roy Arends
John Dickinson
Jelte Jansen
Stephen Morris
Rickard Bondesson
Patrik Wallström
Matthijs Mekking
Olaf Kolkman
Rick van Rein

Project management
------------------
Consensus decisions made by the group - not the project manager.
The project manager acts as a "document shepherd", keeps the texts
that are decided on...

Rickard Bondesson has full support acting as the project manager from
the group.

Project manager responsibilites:
  - arrange meetings
  - keep documents
  - update the project plan

First face to face meeting early February. Arrange the meetings with
doodle.

System design
-------------
Agree on a high-level description of the system. Add this high-level
description to the website.

Long discussion on the inbound and outbound adapters, and on what
OpenDNSSEC really is. First phase is? only complete signing with file
input and output.
Later on add IXFR with zone states and what we need with that.

There is a need to describe the inbound and outbound adapters and how
they interact with the unsigned and signed storage, and what is fed to
the signer engine.

Jakob and Roy will describe the data flow in OpenDNSSEC.

Stephen will send a description of the KASP to the list, and also some
example code.

List decision on the API between the KASP Enforcer and the Signer
Engine.

We need the decision on the API between the Signer Engine and the zone
storage modules. Next meeting, depends on data flow?

We need use cases in order to make good decision on the design. Much
of the API descriptions depend on missing details in the design.

Post discussion material on the wiki separate from the decided design
documents.

Questions from Matthijs deferred to the mailing list.

Who develops each component?
----------------------------

KASP Enforcer: John Dickinson

Signer Engine, RRset Signer, NSEC-ifier: Jelte Jansen, NLNet Labs

Unsigned/Signed-zone storage part of Signer Engine in phase 1.

PKCS#11 should be tested by the party responsible for each component
that must interact with the Security Module.

Commitment
----------
Roy Arends - will participate on the list, and on the conference calls

John Dickinson - 4 weeks? And spare time

Jelte Jansen - 2-3 days per week

Olaf Kolkman -

Matthijs Mekking - 2-3 days per week

Stephen Morris - ... Sean

Rick van Rein - 1 day per week

Roland - 1 day perl week

Jakob Schlyter - 1 day per week?

Patrik Wallström - 1 day per week

Brief update on the state of each component
Jelte: signed a zone using SoftHSM!

Rickard: SoftHSM will be internally cleaner and extendable to other
algorithms

Stephen: Publish more details in KASP

Prototype available in March? Not impossible, but April may be more
realistic ... more details in the project plan.

One reason to be finished in time is to present the project at HAR2009.

Testing
-------
Stephen: We must have unit testing and other testing - the code must
be bullet proof. Will make test plan. Rick volounteers.

Documents missing
Use cases: everybody mail or wiki
Project plan: Rickard
Data flow: Rick - needs feedback