[Opendnssec-develop] Dependencies & stock distributions

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Wed Dec 16 08:36:29 UTC 2009

Hi,

> I think we require the latest versions (or almost latest versions) of dnsruby, ldns, and botan. These are the fundamental libraries that we use in OpenDNSSEC. We have found bugs in them that were critical to fix.

Good point... it's about bugfixes, not features.

If it were for features only, an older version would do.  These older
versions would be easier for distro's.  Given the option of backporting
bugfixes into distro's, would it be an idea to list the following for
all dependencies?

1. Older software version that has enough features
2. Bugfixes since then that are needed
	-> e.g. patchrefs, or quotes from dependency's changelogs

This could greatly simplify the life of packagers and thus improve the
chances of OpenDNSSEC being adopted into distributions and indeed
becoming a turnkey solution for all those distro users.  This in turn
simplifies cooperation with an HSM that supports only certain distros.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
 -Rick