[Opendnssec-develop] Dependencies & stock distributions

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Tue Dec 15 15:33:44 UTC 2009

Hey,

> I also had a little trouble installing on Red Hat because of lacking the newest versions, but after some days (I’m a newbie linux user) I got RC1 to work on Red Hat 5.4. Used the following versions:

One worry for me is that a given HSM will run on a particular platform,
RHEL5 being a common example, and won't mix with all the dependencies
needed to run OpenDNSSEC.  The more software versions are limited to
one particular version, the higher the chances of disturbing things in
the versioning arena.

All these things can of course be solved by installing dependencies in
other prefixes, but that makes OpenDNSSEC deviate (strongly) from the
push button ideal.  Acute knowledge of the version ranges that work
would be really useful, as well as constraining ourselves in the
software facilities that we rely upon.

Ruby is one factor that makes OpenDNSSEC deviate from the ideal of a
pushbutton/turnkey solution.  Many users may find it to be a new
language and a new installation skillset.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
 -Rick