[Opendnssec-develop] Embedded scripts can replace syslog()

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Fri Aug 28 14:43:21 UTC 2009

Hi,

Relativating my own democode, I see the inclusion of a complete Python
interpreter as a potential problem:
 * as a static library, it makes programs larger
 * as a dynamic library, it adds a dependency (on python-devel)

Another approach, with a similar drop-in-place approach, could be to
use an exec() call to invoke the "logger" utility or another (shell)
script with the same options as used to logger(1),

NAME
     logger - a shell command interface to the syslog(3) system log module

SYNOPSIS
     logger [-isd] [-f file] [-p pri] [-t tag] [-u socket] [message ...]

Having said that, I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the
trade-offs.

Best,
 -Rick