[Opendnssec-develop] Re: Sharing PIN through POSIX message queues

Jakob Schlyter jakob at kirei.se
Sat Aug 22 10:48:34 UTC 2009

POSIX message queues are not the save as SysV message queues, but I
assume you know that (msgget() and friends are used in SySV, where
mq_* are used in POSIX).

having said that, I propose that we use standard UNIX sockets for our
IPC. sockets are, as you wrote as well, more well known; so is how to
use them and how to protect them for unauthorized use.

- simple file system protection is used for access control, so the
administrator can easily see what user(s) may access a socket.
- the IPC (socket) identifier is a standard UNIX path,instead of a pre-
allocated numerical queue ID, thus more easy to customize.

I'm not saying SysV or POSIX message queues would not work (your
example shows they would), but given the arguments above I say we use
sockets. thank you for bringing up an alternative and writing example
code - it was most useful.

	jakob