[Opendnssec-develop] Re: Sharing PIN through POSIX message queues

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Fri Aug 21 16:02:48 UTC 2009

Hi Jakob/others,

> > [IPC is part of POSIX]

> do you have any information on what operating systems has implemented
> this API?

AFAIK it is commonly implemented.  It was introduced with SysV, so a long
time ago.  I've done a quick look for pages mentioning msgget in relation
to various OS's and found them (usually in man pages) for all that I tried:

- Linux
- FreeBSD
- OpenBSD
- NetBSD
- SunOS / Solaris / OpenSolaris
- HP-UX
- Cygwin
- AIX

The calls are quite common AFAIK, except that UNIX programmers don't
quickly think of them.  If you have any doubts, we can always test my
little app on various platforms, but it looks to me like it'll work
everywhere.

Cheers,
 -Rick