[Opendnssec-develop] -a vs --all

roy at nominet.org.uk roy at nominet.org.uk
Fri Aug 21 09:35:13 UTC 2009

Sion wrote on 08/21/2009 11:02:28 AM:

> I hesitate to start this discussion as it has caused small wars in the
> past...
>
> We have a number of components that take command line arguments, and I
> think that we should be consistent in both style and meaning of flags. I
> wouldn't expect -v to mean verbose in one place and version in another;
> similarly I wouldn't expect to have to type -v in one place and --version
> in another.
>
> So, do we need a central list of what options we have used, and what they
> mean? And do we need to decide between short and long options (or decide
> that we want both to always work?)
>
> I'm happy with either type, so long as we are consistent. Or you can tell
> me that I am worrying about nothing.

+1 for consistency across cmd line options for all tools. I think we do
indeed need a reference on the wiki that specifies command line options.
Maybe via a manual page (man/nroff style) in html on the wiki? As for
choices, no prefs either way, so let me just choose something arbitrary,
and go from there:

-v --verbose
-V --version
-d --debug