[Opendnssec-user] spf record and opendnssec?

Miek Gieben miek at miek.nl
Thu Nov 29 15:04:41 UTC 2012

[ Quoting <WBrown at e1b.org> in "RE: [Opendnssec-user] spf record an..." ]
> According to "DNS and BIND", 4th ed, pg 154, the limit is 2K.  I couldn't
> find in the the BIND 9 ARM, other than a reference to RFC 1035.

and that reference (rfc 1035) is pretty clear, section 3.3.14

    TXT-DATA        One or more <character-string>s.

Each <character-string> is (section 3.3 of that same RFC):

    <character-string> is a single length octet followed by that number of
    characters. <character-string> is treated as binary information, and can
    be up to 256 characters in length (including the length octet).

I only have the 3rd ed. of "DNS and BIND" so I can not verify your claim
it (wrongly) tells the maximum is 2K. The maximum is the max length of the
rdata, which is 64K.

grtz Miek