[Opendnssec-maintainers] Debian - migration path from 1.4.6 to 2.0.x needed and more general remark on OpenDNSSEC database upgrades

Ondřej Surý ondrej at sury.org
Tue Jul 26 07:28:08 UTC 2016

Heya,

the stable Debian currently has OpenDNSSEC 1.4.6 and that's not going to
change (due to stable release policy). Therefore to upgrade OpenDNSSEC
to 2.0.x in next Debian stable release I need a stable path from
OpenDNSSEC 1.4.6 to 2.0.x.

The only database change I found between 1.4.6 and 1.4.10 (the
recommended version) is migrate_1_4_8.{mysql,sqlite3} scripts.

As a side note I really think the need for user to run the script is
very inconvenient and OpenDNSSEC should keep this hidden from user,
performing the database upgrades on first start when it detects the old
version of the database schema.

Or at least provide a utility that gives the users (and package
maintainers) an unified way how to upgrade the database schema by
parsing the current configuration and applying the updates to the
configured database.

Providing a _raw_ SQL scripts or utilities that needs manual
configuration (which is almost the same as the raw SQL scripts) is a
sure path to botch something.

Cheers,
--
Ondřej Surý <ondrej at sury.org>