[Opendnssec-develop] Library (un)link issues.

Rickard Bellgrim rickard at opendnssec.org
Sun Jan 10 08:41:47 UTC 2016

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Yuri Schaeffer <yuri at nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:

> What I suspect is that both libmysqlclient and softhsm link against
> OpenSSL on user's system and double closing/unlinking of OpenSSL gives
> this problem. When the lines are swapped it works more or less by
> luck? Or maybe because mysql developers known about similar issues?
>
> In any case I don't know enough about this matter to make a meaningful
> statement about which of the involved software should be fixed.
> Looking for your 2 cents!

This is related to https://github.com/opendnssec/SoftHSMv2/issues/181

With Botan you can check if it has already been initialized by the calling
application, thus knowing how to properly clean up. Is there a similar
method for OpenSSL?

The order should be:
* Application initialize crypto library
* Application initialize PKCS#11 library
* PKCS#11 library initialize crypto library, if not initialized by the
calling application
* Application finalize PKCS#11 library
* PKCS#11 library clean up crypto library, if it was initialized by the
PKCS#11 library
* Application clean up crypto library