[Opendnssec-develop] XML element ordering in 1.4 vs 2.0

Jakob Schlyter jakob at kirei.se
Tue Jan 21 07:12:16 UTC 2014

On 20 jan 2014, at 12:28, Sara Dickinson <sara at sinodun.com> wrote:

> In 1.4, the _ordering_ of elements within the xml files is constrained (see the .rnc definition). However Yuri would like to relax this requirement in 2.0 as it makes compatibility with the new database code much easier.

Please elaborate - the ordering is schema-centric, pulling data out using XPath should not have any impact on the ordering. Writing data in the correct order shouldn't be a problem either, but I may be wrong here.

> I’d like to understand if there was a specific reason the order was constrained in 1.4 and if anyone foresees any problem with relaxing the order in 2.0.

I enforced ordering to get a clean syntax, primary purpose is to ease support (aka "end user debugging").

> At the moment in 2.0 the impact is that the exported kasp/signconf files have some elements in the signature section in a different order compared to those in 1.4 (no changes in exported zonelist.xml). So I’ve run into a small amount of pain when porting regression tests, but this is manageable.
>
> Thoughts/comments?

I prefer to keep the ordering, but I'd like to the see real reason for dropping it.

	jakob

--
Jakob Schlyter
Kirei AB - www.kirei.se