[Opendnssec-develop] RE: XML element ordering in 1.4 vs 2.0

Sara Dickinson sara at sinodun.com
Mon Jan 20 11:28:50 UTC 2014

Hi there,

We have come across a difference between 1.4 and 2.0 that I would like to understand before we do our next release.

In 1.4, the _ordering_ of elements within the xml files is constrained (see the .rnc definition). However Yuri would like to relax this requirement in 2.0 as it makes compatibility with the new database code much easier.

I’d like to understand if there was a specific reason the order was constrained in 1.4 and if anyone foresees any problem with relaxing the order in 2.0.

At the moment in 2.0 the impact is that the exported kasp/signconf files have some elements in the signature section in a different order compared to those in 1.4 (no changes in exported zonelist.xml). So I’ve run into a small amount of pain when porting regression tests, but this is manageable.

Thoughts/comments?