[Opendnssec-develop] Move to git

Sara Dickinson sara at sinodun.com
Wed Feb 5 11:33:23 UTC 2014

Hi,

Late to the party here, but I think I see where Yuri is coming from.

If I understand the workflow correctly, the strict recommendation is that everything from a large feature to a 1 line bug fix should be done on its own feature branch, which requires creating a new branch, building it and then processing a separate pull request (with all the associated overhead). And if these fixes are ones that need porting to other releases then I need a separate feature branch per bug per release.

Of course, you could in theory batch several bug fixes into one pull request (if they are for the same branch), but that then means they all have to wait for the whole batch to completed, reviewed and accepted. So maybe some common sense about what to combine in a pull request is needed? For example, if someone else needs a bug fix quickly, then you have to create a separate feature branch but if you are working on a bunch of small fixes, maybe just create one feature branch, put all the fixes in that and then do the pull request. Jerry/Jakob - you are not going to reject pull requests that fix more than one JIRA issue are you? ;-)

Also, if a fix is dependant on an earlier fix (say, fix D depends on fix A), then the developer has to wait for the pull request for A to be accepted before they can start on fix D (or if they have already started) being able to pull down those changes, rebase the feature branch, finish the work, push and create a pull request for D. If Jerry/Jakob are busy or the pull request needs to be reviewed by somebody who isn’t around today then the developer just has to wait. There is no nice shortcut here, right?

Have I understood all this correctly? If so, then at first read this process feels like a very heavy overhead compared to what we do now with svn because
a) there are lots more steps and lots more commands needed
b) I need a work area for every pull request, rather than just one per branch
c) there are additional dependancies on other people, none of whom work full time on ODS
d) there is an additional lag in waiting for pull requests to be processed

I can see the bigger picture benefits of git but this workflow doesn’t immediately seem to make developers daily lives any easier :-(
….but then I am probably stuck in my svn ways….Note to self: must drink the git kool-aid...

Sara.