[Opendnssec-develop] Move to git

Jerry Lundström jerry at opendnssec.org
Tue Feb 4 11:59:02 UTC 2014

On 04 Feb 2014, at 11:39 , Yuri Schaeffer <yuri at nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:

> Yes but you advised me against merging the bug fix to my other
> branches (or just develop?). So how can I use 'feature' and 'bugfix'
> simultaneously?

If the feature is depended on the changes made by bugfix you must either wait for it to be merged into upstream, then update your fork and rebase your feature or you can apply the same commits on your feature (in various ways) and later before making a pull request deal with the commits for the feature (also in various ways). There is no “one way” to do things like this in git and you are free to do it in any way you want. All that matters in that the pull request you make in the end is clean.

This will require you to know git very well and thats why I am advising against it in the beginning.

> Imagine -for argument sake- the bugfix is for "ODS does not compile”.

That is not a good example since that would never really be merged into the upstream since all pull requests are compiled and tested.

> My impression of Git was that each commit can be uniquely identified.
> Thus applying commits to multiple branches and then merging them does
> not cause conflicts [for those commits]. But that is not true?

It might work but it will most likely make the order in your tree wrong and you can get problems later on.

--
Jerry Lundström - OpenDNSSEC Developer
http://www.opendnssec.org/