[Opendnssec-develop] RE: Move to git

Jerry Lundström jerry at opendnssec.org
Tue Feb 4 06:34:51 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Yuri Schaeffer <yuri at nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:

> Some assertions:
> - I should do all pull requests from my feature branch and keep it
> around until it is successfully pulled.

Correct, you MUST keep the branch since its tied into the pull request.

> - I should NOT do pull requests from my develop branch because requests
> are on branches, not commits.

Correct, your develop branch will most likely be connected to the upstream
develop branch and making changes to it will just create problems and more
ugly merge messages.

> - After I finish a feature branch. I can/should merge it in to my
> develop branch. I need not wait for the commit to be in the remote
> develop branch, because git can uniquely identify commits.

Even if it might work most times I do not recommend this, the order of
commits in your develop branch might not be the same and that will create
problems.

> Now, the thing I'm fussy on is the need for rebasing. I think I get what
> it does (it falsifies history by changing the time of branching?) but I
> don't know why we need it.

It does not really falsify, its more that it takes all the commits made
since the branching and replays them onto the branch again after updating
it from the upstream. In this way you make sure that your commits still
apply cleanly if you would do a pull request and avoid unnecessary merge
messages.

> An other observation. I expected opendnssec-workflow-test/develop to by
> enforcerNG branch (current svn trunk), but it is not.

The opendnssec-workflow-test repository is just a test convert of SVN, it
is not correct but works for us to test GitHub.

--
Jerry Lundström - OpenDNSSEC Developer
http://www.opendnssec.org/