[Opendnssec-develop] Short-term plans OpenDNSSEC 2.0

Jakob Schlyter jakob at kirei.se
Mon Apr 7 11:30:08 UTC 2014

As Sara will be busy with other projects the next following months, I will be taking care of managing development for OpenDNSSEC 2.0 for some time. Sara will continue managing the 1.x releases.

Early this week, we'll release 2.0.0a4 (just waiting for some review by Yuri). Once that is done, Yuri will enable more regression tests and we'll release 2.0.0a5 some time next week.

To address the 2.0 database issues recently discussed, we're going to make a limited effort into moving ahead with the a new database backend [1] developed by Jerry (with help from Yuri). The new database backend is written in pure C and has already both SQL (SQLite) and noSQL (CouchDB) backends.

We have good reasons to believe that this new backend will address the performance issues and integration for other types of storage engines (e.g., LDAP as recently proposed by RedHat). The reasoning I'm calling this a "limited effort" is that we don't know for sure, and the way we've (Jerry/Yuri/myself) chosen to evaluate this is to just do the work as soon as the additional regression tests are in.

	jakob

[1] https://github.com/jelu/opendnssec/tree/dbx/enforcer-ng/src/db