[Opendnssec-develop] RE: Jenkins email notifications

Sara Dickinson sara at sinodun.com
Thu Apr 4 15:00:02 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I've been meaning to ask for a while how useful people are finding the email notifications from jenkins. It is currently set up to send emails on a job/platform basis which can result in ~15 emails when one job fails everywhere, and then another 15 when it is fixed. The emails do contain a lot of useful information but personally I find the quantity a bit much (they don't thread with the current subject settings).

I would like to try out switching the setup to send a single email per job which will contain information about which platform(s) failed but not the details of what failed (see below for an example). Since we have the groovy junit test results page set up in jenkins now I don't think this is much of a problem as it is easy to see the details via the web page. I would like to make the change tomorrow and see how it works out unless anyone thinks this is a bad idea.

I've also changed the subject format slightly so the build status is the first item in the subject line so it is easier to see at a glance if the mail is for fixed or failed. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know!

Thanks

Sara.