[Opendnssec-develop] OpenDNSSEC 1.4.0a2

Sara Dickinson sara at sinodun.com
Tue May 29 11:07:18 UTC 2012

Hi,

My thoughts would be that since producing tarballs isn't a great overhead then the benefit of making is easier for users to test the alpha makes it worth doing?

Other comments on the updated Release process:

- I would like to see the code review at the top of the list - in fact it could be argued this should be part of the development/pre-release process, not the release process since it is the responsibility of the developers not the person doing the release
- Are any code integrity tools run regularly e.g. Coverity? It seems like this should be done before a major and probably a minor release after code review updates.
- Given the above it should be clear exactly who does what. We could define a "Release Manager" role.
- I think it the process could clarify more between minor/major/patch releases (e.g. in terms of documentation and package maintenance)
- Step 6. Seems like it would be better if a single person did all the announce updates - seems to make sense that this is the Project Manager?

IMHO it would also be nice to have a release criteria defined e.g. no open blocker/critical bugs and all open major bugs have workarounds. Any thoughts on this?

I can take a pass at updating the process after some feedback on the above.....

One more thought on the Release Engineering process defined in step 5 - could steps 4,5 and 6 of this be automated in a Jenkins job that is run manually?

Sara.