[Opendnssec-develop] Performance benchmarks

Sara Dickinson sara at sinodun.com
Thu Dec 20 08:54:30 UTC 2012

On 18 Dec 2012, at 13:03, Jerry Lundström wrote:

Thanks for all the comments.

> On Dec 18, 2012, at 13:14 , Sara Dickinson wrote:
>
>> Maybe we should start with 2 'dynamic' tests
>
> Sounds like a good start.
>
>> - grow from 1 small zone to 1 large zone by adding records (add 10 lots of 100,000 records)
>
> This only affects the Signer and what is interesting to benchmark here is memory usage and not signing since that is almost fully depended on the HSM used.

Does anyone know where he HSM's we have installed (SafeNet Luna SA 4) fall in the range of HSM's available? Does it at least give us a correct order of magnitude for timings?

>> - grow from 1 small zone to many small zones by adding zones (add 10 lots of 5,000 zones)
>

> This affects the Enforcer more then it does the Signer but we should benchmark both.
>
> Whats really interesting here is to see the time it takes to handle many zones and to do normal operation stuff on a setup with many zones, so maybe something like this:
>
> 1) Add 500 zones
> 2) Randomly add and delete 10 zones
> 3) If total number zones < 10000 goto 1
>
> Reason for just 10000 zones is that adding 50000 may take half a day on 1.3/1.4 so its better to start with something we know can finish in a day.

Yes - if we script it right then the number of zones to start with/add/remove are just parameters and we can start small and ramp it up. It is going to be a learning process :-)

> Is this something 2.0 is ready for yet btw or shall we just start with 1.3/1.4?

As far as I know 1.4 should be able to handle this (Yuri?) although I think there may be issues with shared keys. I would be tempted to develop the scripts against 1.3 since it shouldn't have any surprises, then try them with a smallish number of zones (500?) on 1.4 and 2.0 just to make sure it works. Then do a larger runs against each release and see what happens....

Sara.