[Opendnssec-develop] Multithreaded Enforcer issues before we can merge with trunk

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Aug 27 08:02:42 UTC 2012

On 08/24/2012 11:40 AM, Yuri Schaeffer wrote:
>>> +1. Simpler, doesn't reduce what is logged compared to current
>>> behaviour and can be post-processed easily if needed.
>
> Agree. +1

Also +1 for prepending/adding the zone name to the log lines.
ods-signer also mentions the zone name in most log lines.

About the configuration: I also am in favor of putting it in conf.xml,
like the <SignerThreads/>. Make it optional, pick a sane default (1
would be sane imo).

I would argue that we do not need a --disable-enforcer-workers.
Behavior should be the same when having the enforcer-workers and its
number is set to 1.

>> +1 Does this decision effect the enforcer-NG also? Do we want it
>> to be consistent?
>
> No. Much to my regret enf-ng does not enforce zones in parallel.
>
> On 08/24/2012 11:13 AM, Jerry Lundström wrote:
>> No this does not affect NG and there is very little logging in
>> NG
> today (or at least what I've seen).
>
> If you ramp up the verbosity it can quite upset the syslog daemon.

Signer can also already upset syslog if you turn on debug or deeebug
verbosity (messages drop due to rate limiting). There are ways to
configure syslog not to throttle log messages (if that is what you
meant with "upsetting syslog").

Best regards,
  Matthijs