[Opendnssec-develop] Re: [dnsext] Review of draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc1995bis-ixfr-00.txt (from Knot DNS team)

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Apr 19 07:53:59 UTC 2012

On 04/18/2012 09:00 PM, Alfred � wrote:
>> 3) Section 2, last paragraph - why has to RRSIG(SOA) [to] follow
>> the SOA in the AXFR-fallback example?
>
> Actually, there's no "MUST" requirement, but it is good practice in
> AXFR implementations to group RRsets together in AXFR responses,
> and, according to the base DNSSEC specs, the RRSIG(SOA)
> conceptionally is part of the SOA RRset (except in the context of a
> query for RRSIG, which does not apply here).  However, server
> implementations have found it convenient to send RRsets as
> contiguous groups within AXFR responses (because of the manner they
> are stored, for grouped inclusion in ordinary DNS responses);
> similarly, for clients that choose to perform detailed plausibility
> checks of received zone content before serving a new version of the
> zone data, checking of consistency likely will comprise a check for
> equality of TTL values within RRsets (Section 5.2 of RFC 2181), and
> maybe even RRSIG verification, it is beneficial to receive the RRs
> of RRsets grouped together (so that common DRAM cache replacement
> algorithms make it much more likely to find the related RRs in the
> most high-speed memeory comonents present in the system, and hence
> processing will be much faster).  Since IXFR is all about speed and
> optimization of the zone synchronization process, such server
> behavior is very desirable in IXFR implementations as well.
>
> Taking this into account, I have tentatively modified the draft
> text to now say:
>
> "In contrast, in the case of fallback to AXFR, the IXFR response
> would typically convey, in order:" ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> But if implementers do strongly prefer to have IXFR clients find
> RRsets grouped together, or at leaest to have the RRSIG(SOA) RRs
> always be placed at the beginning (in the case of IXFR fallback to
> AXFR), we could make the RR order shown in the draft mandatory
> (SHOULD or MUST) for IXFR servers.
>
> Opinions from other implementers?

OpenDNSSEC 1.4.0a1 does indeed now transfer the zone in the order such
that signatures follow the corresponding RRsets immediately. However,
due to a change in the way we store the data in the backup files, that
might change into first send all the RRsets, followed by all NSEC(3)s
and finally all RRSIGs, because that's the order they are stored.

You argue that this is disadvantageous for the IXFR client, but that
is depending on the implementation I guess. In our case, it would be
beneficial for the IXFR server to do otherwise. So at least, I would
disagree with making the RR order more mandatory.

Best regards,
  Matthijs