[Opendnssec-develop] Re: [OpenDNSSEC] #262: Possible race condition causing CPU-bound loop in signerd?

Göran Bengtson goeran at chalmers.se
Tue Sep 27 08:21:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011, OpenDNSSEC wrote:

> From: OpenDNSSEC <owner-dnssec-trac at kirei.se>
> Cc: "opendnssec-develop at lists.opendnssec.org"
>     <opendnssec-develop at lists.opendnssec.org>
> Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:01:50 +0200
> Subject: Re: [OpenDNSSEC] #262: Possible race condition causing CPU-bound loop
>      in signerd?
>
> #262: Possible race condition causing CPU-bound loop in signerd?
> -------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
> Reporter:  goeran@…            |        Owner:  matthijs
>    Type:  defect              |       Status:  accepted
> Changes (by matthijs):
>
>  * status:  new => accepted
>

> Comment:
>
> Hi,
>
> To get more insight of why the signer gets stuck, I would like to know:
> - how many worker threads and signer threads you have configured?

8 worker threads, 2 signer threads.

> - how many zones you have configured?

10

> - what is the maximum size of the zones?

36970 RRs.

> - the kasp.xml

As an attachment.

Additional comments.

The system is Guest configured with 2 CPUs running in a  VMWare cluster.

If I remeber correct from the strace (before strace removed the condition!),
strace indicate that the signer  loops in pthread_cond_timewait() with
'FUTEX WATI', futex returning EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable).

> If you prefer, you can send me this information off list.
>
> --
> Ticket URL: <http://trac.opendnssec.org/ticket/262#comment:3>
> OpenDNSSEC <http://www.opendnssec.org/>
> OpenDNSSEC