[Opendnssec-develop] Fisheye

Patrik Wallström patrik.wallstrom at iis.se
Thu Sep 8 13:12:47 UTC 2011

On Sep 8, 2011, at 2:32 PM, Siôn Lloyd wrote:

> There was a question about git support yesterday...
>
> As if by magic the new version of fisheye, released yesterday, has git
> support.
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/fisheye

Good news.

There are a number of features that I like about Git (besides being the distributed vcs it is), and that is the protected git history (by sha-1 hashes) so that you cannot manipulate commits by for example a repository breach. And you can also sign tags with PGP.

http://book.git-scm.com/1_the_git_object_model.html
http://learn.github.com/p/tagging.html

Something that might matter also is that it is completely distributed, which means that the master repo is the place we call the master repo - not because there has to be one. All cloned git repos can be master repos.

About code review, there is also a nice project called Gerrit:
http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/
If we're going to put code review in place, I think we should think a little bit about the processes involved. Gerrit has a nice picture about how they see their default workflow:
http://source.android.com/source/life-of-a-patch.html

For SVN you also have Rietveld:
http://code.google.com/p/rietveld/

Fisheye looks more to me like a source browser system than something used for code review. Please look at the Rietveld system that Chromium use (and look at something with lots of comments):
http://codereview.chromium.org/

--
Patrik Wallström
Project Manager, R&D