[Opendnssec-develop] Re: Memory Usage in OpenDNSSEC signer 1.3.2 and ldns 1.6.10

Miek Gieben miek at miek.nl
Mon Nov 14 14:13:49 UTC 2011

[ Quoting <jerry at opendnssec.org> at 14:46 on Nov 14 in "Memory Usage in Open..." ]
> Hi,
>
> I have finished my report on the memory usage, you can read it at:
> https://wiki.opendnssec.org/display/~jerry/
> Memory+Usage+in+OpenDNSSEC+signer+1.3.2+and+ldns+1.6.10
>
> And find the code at:
> http://svn.opendnssec.org/home/jerry/memory-usage/
>
> /Jerry

A very interesting read! Thanks for looking in to this.

So basically with a few "simple" fixes you cut memory by 25%. That is a nice
result. From the top of my head, the simple tests I did with BIND resulted
in another 25% drop of the memory used, so we are half way there :-)

As you say, checking the temporary allocations in ldns seems to be a worth
while endevour, and I'm willing to help (if needed).

About the rdf structure in ldns. Yes, I see that from a memory allocation they
suck, but at the time they made ldns tick. I.e. when we introduced the rdf
type in ldns all the RR types became very easy to implement.

Having said that, I think a higher memory usage compared to BIND is justified,
as ldns is a generic (extensible) dns library.

Are there any "next steps" planned?

 grtz,

--
    Miek