[Opendnssec-develop] Trailing dot in enforcer

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Mar 2 12:17:49 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 03/02/2011 12:34 PM, Siôn Lloyd wrote:
> I've committed the code that I think takes care of the trailing dot. There are
> a couple of cases that are not covered.
>
> Firstly a zone "." will be left as-is.

That sounds reasonable.

> Secondly, if the user edits the zonelist and includes a zone with a trailing
> dot then they will need to be consistent.
>
> So, if you call "ods-ksmutil zone add -z test." the zone "test" is added. You
> can then interact with this zone via "-z test" _or_ "-z test." (E.g. issuing
> the ds-seen command.)

Ok

> However, if you add "test." directly to zonelist.xml then you will need to use
> "-z test.". (This is to avoid trashing existing zones which have trailing
> dots.)

Is this because currently you could have two different zones in the
enforcer: "zone" and "zone."? I am not sure if we necessarily have to be
backwards compatible with this.

I would like to see that everywhere you make the comparison:
- - "zone" equals "zone"
- - "zone" equals "zone."
- - "zone." equals "zone"
- - "zone." equals "zone."

In that case, it doesn't matter how you would add them, and the user
doesn't have to be concerned about being consistent.

Best regards,

Matthijs