[Opendnssec-develop] Enforcer engine design v2 work breakdown

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at NLnetLabs.nl
Thu Jun 30 08:26:58 UTC 2011

On 06/30/2011 09:46 AM, Yuri Schaeffer wrote:
> Roland,
>
>>> The main problem is that policy information is not tied to a key
>>> (in my initial design it was but this was somehow dropped by Rene
>>> and me in the actual implementation as redundant). When a policy
>>> changes all existing keys should still propagate according to the
>>> old policy. This is fixable after Rene's vacation. (I will not
>>> block on this)
>
>> Do I understand correctly that this will only affect keys that are
>> already in use?
>
> I think new keys are affected as well. When for example the new
> DNSKEY TTL is shorter than the old DNSKEY TTL, the old and the new
> set both roll too quick. (zone may become invalid)
>
> When the new TTL is longer. The roll is unnecessary slow. (but will
> stay valid)

Yes. When key rollovers talk about 'waiting approximately one TTL', it
is assumed the Maximum Zone/DNSKEY TTL (depending on ZSK or KSK
rollover) of the RRset of the previous version of the zone.

If you are going to introduce keys at a faster rate than TTL, the TTL
can even span multiple versions of previous zones.

- - Matthijs