[Opendnssec-develop] ID fields in MySQL

Sion Lloyd sion at nominet.org.uk
Mon Feb 14 11:05:34 UTC 2011

I have a script (attached) to change the datatype of the keypairs id column.
(For some fairly dull reasons I have written it in perl because it can not be
done with just SQL.)

So here is a question, should we "upgrade" some other id fields while we are
there? Also, is there anything here that effects the enforcerNG?

The following tables have a tinyint id, i.e. a maximum of 127:

	securitymodules - store information about all the hsms used
	categories - stores the possible categories (or uses) of parameters
	serialmodes - SOA serial strategies

Then, the following have mediumints, i.e. a maximum of 8388607:

	parameters - stores the types of parameters available
	policies
	zones
	parameters_policies - join table to hold the values of parameters

The only one I'd be tempted to increase is the securitymodules.
What do people think? Is there a good reason _not_ to bump security modules to
at least a mediumint?

Cheers.

Sion