[Opendnssec-develop] Running with no policies

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Wed Sep 22 08:08:11 UTC 2010

Hello,

> I'd rather not have to treat the last policy as "special" and stop it from
> being purged / pruned...

Agreed, that's the sort of exception that usually leads to weirdly structured
programs.  Agreed, that a system without policies has no need for data.
Agreed, treating zero-cases gently as a normal part of operations instead of
as an exception is a good idea.  But I cannot judge if this is practical, which
makes me humble instead of pushy towards this somewhat theoretical form of
beauty.  In short: whatever you think makes sense!

> So I would rather change the .rng and deal with a system that has no policies
> (easy, do nothing if there is nothing to do). You can not add zones to such a
> system as there is no policy to add it to;

Indeed, and syntax already takes care of that: a zone can only be defined with
a reference to a policy that is known to the system.

> so I can't see any bad things
> happening... It is also a simpler change (one character as opposed to I don't
> know how many lines).

Simpler is better, certainly if it makes the concepts more elegant, that is
less exception-ridden :-D

Good thinking, Sion!

-Rick