[Opendnssec-develop] Signer hangs.. caused by auditor?

Rick Zijlker rick.zijlker at sidn.nl
Fri Mar 5 10:27:12 UTC 2010

Hey all,

This week I needed to kill processes quite often. It seems like
"ods-control stop" command was not stopping the engines properly (even
though there is no signing going on) and when restarting them the system
kept hanging at:

[root at signer1 kasp]# ods-control start

Starting signer engine...

connecting to /var/run/opendnssec/engine.sock

By using ctrl-c this step gets skipped and the enforcer starts but not
the signer.

I need to kill idle auditor threads which I saw when running "ps -e" and
the log would shows me:

Mar  5 11:11:04 signer1 ods-signerd: Auditor result: -15

Mar  5 11:11:04 signer1 ods-signerd: close syslog

Mar  5 11:11:04 signer1 python: Connection closed by peer

After that I can start the engines successfully. The problem is, the
auditor wasn't doing anything for hours. It looked like the auditor
claimed the signer for nothing but thereby prohibiting it to start.

I am using yesterdays trunk checkout and partial auditor.

Cheers,

Rick