[Opendnssec-develop] Fw: [dnsext] Question on NAPTR text format

Alexd at nominet.org.uk Alexd at nominet.org.uk
Wed Feb 3 09:30:19 UTC 2010

I asked namedroppers for opinion on the /D notation in resource records
(as discussed last week on this list).

The response (below) seems to be that this is an error.

Should we update ldns and dnsruby with this behaviour, so that they at
least behave consistently when confronted with this invalid notation?

Thanks,

Alex.

----- Forwarded by Alex Dalitz/Nominet on 03/02/2010 09:28 -----

Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3 at gmail.com> wrote on 02/02/2010 23:10:40:

> Donald Eastlake <d3e3e3 at gmail.com>
> 02/02/2010 23:10

> Alexd at nominet.org.uk
>
> cc
>
> namedroppers at ops.ietf.org
>
> Subject
>
> Re: [dnsext] Question on NAPTR text format
>
> Right, see RFC 4343:
> "A back-slash followed by only one or two decimal digits is undefined"
>
> Donald
> =============================
> Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-634-2066 (home)
> 155 Beaver Street
> Milford, MA 01757 USA
> d3e3e3 at gmail.com
>

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 4:33 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
>
> In message <OF1814005C.703B880F-ON802576BE.00419B44-802576BE.
> 004271B4 at nominet.or
> g.uk>, Alexd at nominet.org.uk writes:
> > Hi -
> >
> > I'm hoping somebody can please help me understand how to treat the
> > following text in a NAPTR/TXT record  :
> >
> > "blah\2blah"
> >
> > We have from RFC 1035 :
> >
> > \X              where X is any character other than a digit (0-9), is
> >                used to quote that character so that its special
meaning
> >                does not apply.  For example, "\." can be used to place
> >                a dot character in a label.
> >
> > and
> >
> > \DDD            where each D is a digit is the octet corresponding to
> >                the decimal number described by DDD.  The resulting
> >                octet is assumed to be text and is not checked for
> >                special meaning.
> >
> > So what happens if there is only one digit, instead of three? (i.e.
\D)